ENCOUNTERS IN POST-APOCALYPTIC HOUSTON
(Roll d20 if the party is moving, d10 if they are staying in one place.)
- Roll Twice and Combine
- Plot-Advancing Encounter: Something or someone related to whatever brought the adventurers to Post-Apocalyptic Houston in the first place. (If they're just passing through then this is an adventure hook: someone who knows of a treasure in the city.)
- Armadillo! A giant mutant armadillo has dug tunnels under this entire area. It will snatch travellers from underneath, dragging them down into the dark. The armadillo has powerful claws and bulletproof hide, and strikes without warning.
- Cheerleader Militia: A band of 2d6 heavily-armed young women who preserve the traditions of their lost high school. They're wary of strangers, but turn hostile if they think you're from a rival school.
- Highway Bandits! Riding pickup trucks on the north side of town, or low-riders on the south, they're classic road warriors preying on anyone who strays into their territory. All are heavily armed.
- Mutant Cockroach Swarm: A deadly swarm of hundreds of hungry radioactive mutant cockroaches. At night they glow green. They attack any living things in their path and leave only bones behind.
- Ranger: A solo Texas Ranger in an armored all-terrain vehicle, with a combat suit and high-tech firepower. He aims to enforce the law.
- Scavengers: A ragged band of 2d8 mutants who survive by picking through the ruins. They may have some surprising high-tech items, and are definitely well-armed.
- Storm! Heavy rain, winds gusting over 50 mph, and lightning for 1d12 hours, followed by flooding for a day.
- Traveling Doctor: A highly-skilled physician with a good supply of scavenged equipment and medicines, who offers his or her services to those in need. Anyone who harms or interferes with the Traveling Doctor earns the hostility of everyone in the area.
- Alien: An intelligent extraterrestrial escaped from one of the labs at NASA. It has acquired weapons but is desperate for suitable food. "Food" in this case may mean anything from Reese's Pieces to petrochemicals.
- Alligator! A twelve-foot alligator surges out of the nearest water, trying to snatch one of the party and drag him away.
- Cannibal Barbecue Joint: A barbecue place run by 2d4 cannibal mutants with guns. If you don't want to trade for slow-cooked human flesh, they'll try to capture you for tomorrow's special.
- Drain-Dwellers: A band of 2d12 cannibal mutants who hide out in the storm drain tunnels under the streets. Their main nest is nearby.
- Flooded Area: A stretch of city 1d4 miles wide is under 10-15 feet of water.
- Mission Church: A Catholic church run by fearless Franciscan monks. It provides sanctuary, basic education, and simple medical help. There are 2d4 monks, aided and protected by 2d10 human and mutant converts. While peaceful, the converts do have guns for defense.
- Radioactive Man: A human infused with so much radioactivity he glows at night. His touch causes harmful burns. The Radioactive Man is immune to age and disease, but went mad from loneliness years ago. He tries to catch the most charismatic member of the party, begging him or her to stay with him.
- Ruined Refinery: It's full of flammable chemicals, rusty catwalks, scavengers looking for fuel, and maybe some hungry mutants.
- Toxic Zone! An area 1d100 yards across contaminated by chemicals, radiation, and/or biohazards. Will definitely make you sick, might kill you, might give you mutations.
- Tracks/Aftermath: Reroll to see what you find traces of. If it's a fixed location, this may be a signpost.
(Roll 1d6, then roll on the table above to see who A and B are.)
- A desires B
- A wants to capture B
- A wants B dead
- A wants to go somewhere
- A wants to solve a mystery
- A wants X